Netgear FA411

I have a Netgear FA411 pcmcia ethernet card.

When NetBSD (5.0.1) boots, it says:

ne1 at pcmcia1 function 0: <NETGEAR, FA411m Fast Ethernet>
ne2: where did the card go?

The man page says that this means "The driver found the card, but was unable
to make the card respond to complete the configuration sequence".

I am confident that the card works, as I have been using it in OpenBSD.

I found an email from 2001 that suggests the card is supported:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2001/09/18/0010.html

Is it possible the driver broke between now and then?  Is there something else
I must do to make the card work?

--
TimH