Re: YP alternatives

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 03:43:25PM -0800, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> [ redirected from tech-toolchain ]
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 03:24:23PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > At Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:53:09 +0700, Robert Elz
> > <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> wrote:
> > > Unlike printf(), malloc() etc, I think YP is worth being trashed.
> > > Its usefulness is zero, which really is limited.  But never mind...
> >
> > Indeed.  I turned off USE_YP and MKYP after I turned off my last running
> > SunOS-4 machine many years ago, and I have not looked back.
>
> what are my options for centralized (or distributed) user/login
> credentials across a group of NetBSD-running machines aside from YP?

Someone else has already mentioned ldap/kerberos. I'm doing hesiod/kerberos,
although if I were going to set it up all over again today I might lean
towards ldap/kerberos as well --- ldap seems to be much more common as
a user directory service these days, but when I was setting it up hesiod
made much more sense. I would not, however, store user authentication data
in ldap (which seems to be another common variation these days). I'm
much more comfortable leaving kerberos to handle the authentication side
and leaving ldap strictly as a directory service.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula%tproa.net@localhost | http://kula.tproa.net/