Re: NetBSD 5.0.1 on Dell E6400

On Oct 11, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Havard Eidnes wrote:

[...] but even my vga card (Intel 45 express) shows as not
configured [...]

Isn't that the normal state of affairs for basically all graphics
cards in NetBSD?  The software to drive the graphics beyond
normal text output resides in the X11 server, not in the kernel.
That is, if we're not talking about "direct rendering", which
does indeed require code in the kernel.

The problem in this case is the agp driver. There were known problems with Intel G45.

But what about X? I found this email
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2009/05/10/msg000494.html
Does it mean that I must install Intel driver from package to
get my vga working?

That depends on which NetBSD version you installed, and whether
you installed the X11 sets.  In NetBSD 5.0, it is the "xorg" code
which is used for the in-tree X11 bits at least if you run i386
or amd64, if I recall correctly, and therefore there should be
less of a need to install X11 bits from pkgsrc to get an X server
up and running.

On top of the above problems with the agp driver, the version of the xf86-video-intel driver that is shipped with 5.0 has trouble with G45. Really, netbsd-5 is the way to go here.