wapbl vs FFSv1/FFSv2/UFS1/UFS2 confusion

Hi,

could anyone please explain to my confused mind which kind of filesystem
can be used with WAPBL? Either the documentation is incomplete or I am
missing something here.

wapbl(4) in NetBSD 5.0.1 states

  WAPBL requires the super block to be in the UFS2 format.  The super block
  format can be checked using the -s option with dumpfs(8), and older FFSv1
  file systems will need to be updated to the newer super block layout with
  the -c option to fsck_ffs(8).

If I format with "newfs -O 1" I get this from dumpfs
  magic   11954 (UFS1)    time    Fri Oct  9 14:34:47 2009
  superblock location     8192    id      [ 4acf2de7 7891a950 ]
  cylgrp  dynamic inodes  4.4BSD  sblock  FFSv2   fslevel 4
  wapbl version 0x0       location 0      flags 0x0
  wapbl loc0 0    loc1 0  loc2 0  loc3 0

Notice the "UFS1" and "FFSv2 fslevel 4". Is this a superblock in the
UFS2 format mentioned in wapbl(4)?
Mounting with "-o log" works.

If I use "newfs -O 2" I get this from dumpfs
  magic   19540119 (UFS2) time    Fri Oct  9 14:38:06 2009
  superblock location     65536   id      [ 4acf2eae 4bfe9e0d ]
  cylgrp  dynamic inodes  FFSv2   sblock  FFSv2   fslevel 5
  wapbl version 0x0       location 0      flags 0x0
  wapbl loc0 0    loc1 0  loc2 0  loc3 0

Here it actually says "UFS2" but now it's "FFSv2 fslevel 5". Again,
mounting works.

Both mention UFS1 or UFS2 in connection with the magic number but not with
the super block while wabpl(4) says that the suberblock must be in
"UFS2 format".

Which of those two alternatives really works with wapbl?

ciao
     Klaus