Re: dhcpcd(8) setup problems

On Oct 5, 2009, at 6:30 PM, Giles Lean wrote:

Hauke Fath <hf%spg.tu-darmstadt.de@localhost> wrote:

I gather that dhcpcd backgrounds itself right after being started,
then continues to try and acquire an IP address.

Um, dhcpd is a DHCP /server/, and hands out IP addresses.  Are
you wanting to do that?  If your machine is only a client (i.e.
only wants an IP address to be allocated from some other server)
then you don't need to run dhcpd, just dhclient.

I'll spare you the "Um," but you've missed a critical "c" in the name of the program that Hauke is talking about here.

dhcp_c_d is a DHCP client.  I agree, the name is terrible :)