Re: Problems with pf, ipsec nat-t, l2tp

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 03:18:12PM -0700, Alex Barclay wrote:
> I'm having some difficulty configuring IPSec NAT-T l2tp from a Mac
> (client) to NetBSD (server).

If I remember correctly NetBSD does not support L2TP at the moment.
And I don't think you need L2TP anyway. Windows 2000 and XP (and newer
versions?) use L2TP over IPSec transport mode by default to support
some of Micosoft's weird legacy protocol and to allow network browsing.
In most cases IP routing should be good enough and you don't need L2TP.

The majority of IPSec VPN solutions (e.g. Cisco's VPN gateways) use
IP over IPSec tunnel mode. This is supported by NetBSD and Mac OS X.
You can find instructions for setting up a VPN gateway under
NetBSD here:

http://www.uk.netbsd.org/docs/network/ipsec/rasvpn.html

        Kind regards