Re: Gnome

Arthur Barlow wrote:
I know I'm foolish to even attempt this, but I thought I'd try and see is I
could run Gnome on NetBSD.  So far, no luck.  I have done a "make install"
in /usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/gnome2, and it appears that all packages,
(ridiculous amounts as only Gnome can), are built.  I've set my ".xinitrc"
file to "exec /usr/pkg/bin/gnome-session."  I cannot find a correct syntax
to launch dbus from rc.conf, though I've tried "dbus-launch=YES", which
appears to do nothing.  Even if I manually start dbus-launch from root, when
I try to run startx with the above mentioned .xinitrc file I get an error,
"CRITICAL: dbus_g_connection_get_connection: assertion 'gconnection'
failed."
I don't know if I need "devd" or "hald" somehow loaded at boot up time, but
I would appreciate any guidance.  Thanks

P.S. I'm using NetBSD 5.0 on an Athlon Duron MSI motherboard.

I only run bits of Gnome, and needed the following entries in
/etc/rc.conf to get things running smoothly:

rpcbind=YES
famd=YES
dbus=YES
hal=YES

The rc scripts were copied from /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/ where
necessary.

For printing with CUPS from Gnome apps, I needed the following entries:

slpd=YES
cupsd=YES

Hope that helps.
--

Chris Wareham
Senior Software Engineer

Tel: +44 (0)20 7234 5848
Fax: +44 (0)20 7234 5753

http://www.visitlondon.com/

Back the Bid. To choose London as your favourite host city
http://www.england2018bid.com/

'Visit London Limited' is registered in England under No.761149;
Registered Office: Visit London, 2 More London Riverside, London SE1 2RR.

Visit London is the official visitor organisation for London. Visit London is
partly funded by Partnership, the Mayor's London Development Agency and London
Councils.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and intended for the
named recipient(s) only. If you have received it in error, please notify the
sender immediately and then delete the message. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email. The views
expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not of Visit London.
We reserve the right to read and monitor any email or attachment entering or
leaving our systems without prior notice.