RE: adding fonts == exercise in frustration

> Which fonts are you adding? This is what I did:

Some I purchased and some I made myself.

> 1) Installed some TTF fonts from pkgsrc. They were installed
> under /opt/pkg/lib/X11/fonts
>
> 2) Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to contain:
>
> Section "Files"
>         FontPath     "/opt/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
> EndSection
>
> 3) Edit /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and add the following:
>
> <dir>/opt/pkg/lib/X11/fonts</dir>

Comments in that file indicate you should not edit it as it can be overwritten.
 Local customizations are evidently loaded from the files in /etc/fonts/conf.d
dir.  The 51-local.conf file there seems to load in a local.conf file, which is
the same name other tutorials mentioned.  (I don't mind the indirection as long
as it works.)  I created this, with my path, as you describe.

> 4) Run the following commands:
>
> # mkfontscale /opt/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
> # mkfontdir /opt/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
> # fc-cache -v

I created the fonts.dir and fonts.scale, and they contain the descriptor of my
fonts.  When I run fc-cache, it mentions the dirs it's updating, but I don't
see my new one listed.  Neither does fc-list show the fonts.

> Next time you use X11 application to select fonts, those fonts should
> be available in the list.

Nope...

Tim