Re: adding fonts == exercise in frustration

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:34:02 -0500
"Larson, Timothy E." <TELarson%west.com@localhost> wrote:

> OK, adding fonts to X11 has never been as easy as on a Mac or even
> Windows, but I've managed to do it on Linux before.  But I can't get
> it to work on my NetBSD desktop.  I've read at least a dozen
> tutorials and tried to adapt them, but no success.  Can someone
> PLEASE tell me exactly what I need to do to get this working in NB5???
>

> Thanks,
> Tim

Which fonts are you adding? This is what I did:

1) Installed some TTF fonts from pkgsrc. They were installed
under /opt/pkg/lib/X11/fonts

2) Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to contain:

Section "Files"
        FontPath     "/opt/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
EndSection

3) Edit /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and add the following:

<dir>/opt/pkg/lib/X11/fonts</dir>

4) Run the following commands:

# mkfontscale /opt/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
# mkfontdir /opt/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
# fc-cache -v

Next time you use X11 application to select fonts, those fonts should
be available in the list.