Re: RaidFrame with unequal size replacements

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:00:50PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:

>   I worry I may be "in a pickle" here.  I have a sparc64, that has a
> raidframe raid1.  I lost a disk recently, and the replacement has
> arrived, but appears to be a few sectors (143363688 vs 143538120)
> smaller than the one it's replacing. and the pair in the raidframe.
>
>   So, the first question is, does raidframe know how to deal with this?

No. larger remplacement disks are not a problem, but smaller ones won't
work.

> I doubt it, given that dynamically sized filesystems don't, as far as I
> know, exist in NetBSD.  The next question would be, any suggestions on
> how to fix it?  Only idea I have is to build a secondary RAID1, with only
> one disk in it (the new smaller one), then build a new system onto that,
> and then kill the old RAID making the one remaining disk in it be the
> partner to the new disk in the new RAID.

This is what I would do. It's quite easy, but there'll be downtime while you
copy files from the old raid1 to the new one.
Once done, remove autoconf from the old raid1 with raidctl -A no, and boot
on the new one (don't forget to change /etc/raid*.conf if you have one)

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost