Re: root to ahab?

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 06:17:17PM +0200, Nino on NetBSD 4.0 wrote:
> usermod -l ahab root
>
> ... and it worked. - Frankly speaking, I saw no change at all, only
> that root was now ahab. Is this a good idea? - I mean, if someone
> attacks your system from the outside, he would this way not even know
> which account he wants; you could infact install a totally harmless
> user named "root", not even member of wheel, and thus guide everyone
> into it. I am not very well-versed in these matters, it was just a
> funny idea... but if it is a bad one, please tell me.

I'll let Dr. Bellovin comment on the security implications, but I would
expect some scripts (installation, nightly maintenance runs) to start
falling apart, since they assume the "root" account exists.

let us know what you find.

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost