Re: Need some advice on a risky idea

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 08:48:09PM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Michael
> Litchard<michael%schmong.org@localhost> wrote:
> > (2) download the 5.0 install kernel, and install from the same HD I booted
> > from.
> > This seems possible as I notice everything gets put into memory.
> >
> > I want to confirm #2 is possible. I know it's risky, if things stop in
> > the middle I won't be able to boot from anything.
> > But to move forward on my plan I need the stability of 5.0.
> If you can't netboot, you can do a variant of option #2 is a pretty
> safe way by downloading all of the media and stuff you need to a
> separate partition and using that for the install.  You can probably
> even boot from it.  :)

  You can even install to your swap partition if it's big enough--
and isn't req'd to get through boot (disable swap 1st, of course).

  Once the INSTALL is done, you may want to drop in your own custom
kernel, built with (something like) "config root on wd0b type ffs".

  With some creative mounts and/or symlinks, you should be able to
test your existing pkgs and self-built software (as well as HW).
Plus, now you have a temp 2nd bootable partition, if UPDATE fails.

  This approach has its merits; but strikes me as a bit risky even
so when I do it, so making a backup first still would be wise.

Cheers,  --Dave