Need some advice on a risky idea

I am trying to install NetBSD 5.0 on my home server. I only have USB
sticks, and the hard drive I boot from.
I've discovered that my version of -current has some problems writing
to the usb sticks. Here are the choices I have that I can think of.

(1) update -current. My version is very old and I think this may
totally hose my HD. Even if it doesn't I don't know what problems the
latest -current might introduce.

NetBSD logos 5.99.01 NetBSD 5.99.01 (XEN3_DOM0) #0: Wed Nov 12
20:45:23 PST 2008
michael@logos:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/XEN3_DOM0 amd64

(2) download the 5.0 install kernel, and install from the same HD I booted from.
This seems possible as I notice everything gets put into memory.

I want to confirm #2 is possible. I know it's risky, if things stop in
the middle I won't be able to boot from anything.
But to move forward on my plan I need the stability of 5.0.

I suppose I can go buy a cheap floppy drive, but I'm lazy and want to
be able to do this with minimal effort on my part. If I hose things
then I'll go get the floppy drive.