Re: NFS

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:26:59PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> >Sure, if the network dies, you will no longer be able to access the remote
> >disks, but you should still be able to kill off the processes trying to
> >do so.
>
> That usually depends on wether the mount is 'interruptible'.

I'm using -i, but I still couldn't kill any of the processes that got stuck
accessing /home. :-(

> > You should still be able to unmount the remote disk (you may lose
> >some unwritten data, sure).
>
> That doesn't work on almost every UNIX system.

Then they're all broken ;-)  What if ssh client did the same - or ftp
and the web browsers?  If you could not disconnect from the server when
the server or network dies?  (Dead NFS is worse as can affect almost any
process on the client.)

  -jm