Re: netbsd 5.0 and a7n8x (deluxe)

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 01:45:45AM +0200, Michael Kell Jensen wrote:
> Hi i'm trying to upgrade 1 of my servers from current 4.99.xx to release
> 5.0.
>
> Its a a7nx8 (-e deluxe)
> I trired disabling several things.
> Uhci ehci ohci, fd, audio, usb etc.
>
> i just can not get it to boot from the release cd.
>
> I searched the net and found some with the same problems, but they
> always stop short of mentioning how the problem was solved.
>
> Does anyone have any hints. links etc.
>

> On the same note, what do one read to master of the boot -c
> I dont understand what im doing completely, i couldnt find much in the
> guide. do any one have a link or some resource, where one can learn to
> be the master of. boot -c.
> guide tutorial man page etc.
>
> also what deos the different options mean.
> like ioapic, etc.

Plop Boot manager from a floppy disk/usb?
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Boot install floppies? I used to do that when my Thinkpad
600 wouldn't boot from the install CD.

Boot another OS from CD or USB, tar the sets
onto the box, clean manually. I don't like this idea very
much. There is a live NetBSD CD available via the web.

Probably all bad ideas. They work around the problem getting
NetBSD on the box but don't look at the base issue.

I used:
http://www.bsdnexus.com/NetBSD_onastick/install_guide.php

to build a minimal NetBSD system, then used plop to boot it
(my box is so old it doesn't boot from USB).
It helped point out issues before I intalled NetBSD 5.0. Much
faster than reading. Also making a mistake wasn't a big deal.