Re: connection quality from Germany to *.NetBSD.org

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On May 11, 2009, at 12:27 PM, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> [ ... ]
> > Sending ICMP packets to 217.0.76.194 and 217.239.40.53 works perfectly
> > but testing 149.20.65.10 immediately shows the packet loss problem.
> > It looks as if the "wire" between 217.239.40.53 and 149.20.65.10 or
> > one
> > of its endpoints is the cause of the problem.
> >
> > I would like to get some reports from users in Germany using Deutsche
> > Telekom or one of the resellers as their provider.
> > Do you see packet loss with "ping -c 1000" to *.NetBSD.org?
> > My dynamic IP addresses usually fall into the 217.87.*.* range.
> >
> > Loss reports are probably of no interest to the list, so please reply
> > to my e-mail address.
>
> I would suggest looking into a tool called mtr, which is very helpful
> in tracing down which hop(s) of a network route is/are dropping
> packets-- you'll probably gain more useful information from it than
> from classic traceroute output alone....

I'm with Deutsche Telekom in Munich Germany.  I'm running FreeBSD
not NetBSD, compiling /usr/ports/net/mtr now per Chuck's tip.

Klaus,
I'll send you results off list. There's also NetBSD usesr in Munich,
if you need NetBSD specific.  contact them via http://berklix.org/bim/
bim%berklix.org@localhost (subscribe via majordomo%berklix.org@localhost)
Julian

Cheers,