No regular keyboard input in Eclipse

Hi,

I installed NetBSD 5 and NetBSD-current on 4 different machines (all Intel boxes, old and new hardware) in an effort to get at a safe distance from Linux again and back to NetBSD (I tried Windows and Linux in my new job for a year now, but QoL turned out not to be what it used to be ;). But in my new job I have a new requirement and that is using eclipse. Unfortunately, when installing eclipse on all these NetBSD machines
(from pkgsrc) I run into the same problem:

Eclipse does not receive/accept most keyboard input. Tabbing through the GUI widgets works fine and special keys (CTRL-, ALT- and so) seem to work but regular text input using the keyboard does not appear on screen. Cutting and pasting text in an input field using the mouse and using CTRL-C/CTRL-V does work. I am rather baffled by this. Switching to another window manager did not make a difference (tried larswm, twm and ion). My (native) X config is basically out-of-the-box; just as X -configure produced it.

Is this a known problem? If not, any ideas how to solve this or how to go about debugging this?

Feico.