Re: state or future of LFS?

Under Wasabi, a journaled NetBSD file system has been developped. Recently,
Wasabi gave the code for that journalized FFS to the project, which you will be
able to find by browsing the NetBSD news.

LFS is probably gonna be replaced by this work under Wasabi patronage. Code is
robust, clean, and I have moved my home farm for storage under netbsd beta
where it was first available. Works as fine as LFS and does not panic like LFS
does when free space on filesystem is close to none (close to none for users,
as some are reserved for root).

I would suggest you to either wait for netbsd-5 or if you are as eager as me,
to install the netbsd beta to become 5 so you can have your FFS journalized
right now.

Go to the netbsd site. Upper right click on the link for news archives. Select
2009 and scroll to february 2009 and read the paragraph about softdep: more
reliable, better performance and it comes from Wasabi: they developed it for
their own use or for a client, and after some time (and use, so we know it is
something that has seen and does see real world use) they generously
contributed back to the project.

At home, i Have a closet with several machines, all under netbsd-beta to be 5.0
with a total amount close to 4 terabyte. Each machine has from 2 to 4 disks,
all under netbsd FFS journaled, and the 4 terabyte has about 30 gb free. I have
been using for huge volumes of data this code, each piece being backuped at
least twice on different machines, and in the last two weeks i have cleaned and
moved from machine to machine several terabytes. No error, no crash, no
problem. The oldest machine is a shuttle ss51g with a pentium 4, i also have a
soekris 4501, several amd64 on 586 and 686, and a modern 4-core amd64 with a
lot of disks. Several archs, lots of data, moved tons of them between disks and
archs and no problem, and I use this journaled stuff since 3 monthes ;)