Re: Official CDs maybe?

Jeremy C. Reed, 03/24/09 00:34:
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Cem Kayali wrote:

I've been surfing through several linux distributions' and as well as *BSDs' sites, and noticed that some of them (including OpenBSD and FreeBSD) offer official CDs. I would like to ask whether it is good idea releasing (pre-ordering) offical (maybe boxed, too) NetBSD5 CDs and DVDs? It could be a good gift for friends and would be a merchandize to support NetBSD too...

Yes, it is a good idea.

These days boxed sets and physical media may not sell well so probably not worth mass production costs. But maybe you can research various no-upfront-charge distributors like lulu, cafepress and others to see what is a good idea for this.

http://www.lulu.com/en/products/cd_dvd/?cid=en_product_portal

http://software.cafepress.com/?topic=394

I think others do boxed sets too.

I've created a CD template based on cafepress cd template. It could be usefull, because NetBSD has already cafepress account (if NetBSD would like to offer NetBSD5 CDs). It is not complete yet, but maybe list members share their opinions. There are still empty white spaces as you see.

It is at: http://www.eticaret.com.tr/netbsd/cd.template.1.jpg

Regards,
Cem