Re: NetBSD on Dell Mini 12 ? (dmesg)

On 25 Mar 2009 at 7:55, Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:16:14PM +0100, dieter roelants wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:51:31 +0100
> > Geert Hendrickx <ghen%telenet.be@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm also having trouble getting X configured.  With no (or a generated)
> > > xorg.conf, I get "(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes", and X dies with
> > > "(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration".  If I
> > > manually specify the mode (1280x800) and the "vga" driver, X will start
> > > without complaining, but the screen just goes black.  Ctrl-Alt-
> > > Backspace works to bring me back to the console.
> >
> > Do you have any clients running? ISTR the default background in X changed
> > from the typical snow to completely black.
>

> Only for xorg from pkgsrc.  When I startup /usr/X11R7/bin/X with the wrong
> resolution, I still get distorted snow.  The black screen had no mouse
> pointer either.
>
> I googled around and found several guides explaining how to define your own
> Modeline in the Monitor section (even specific for the Mini 12), however, X
> keeps complaining about 1280x800: "no mode with that name".

Using Modular Xorg.

I bought a new 1920x1200 tft and had a very hard time getting
it working after googles found some settings for use on Linux.

Eventually I used the modeline calculator from pkgsrc which
gave completely different results than those I'd found on web
and adding these to xorg.conf gives very good result (just a
few pixels overscan along bottom of screen). I've not bothered
to trim the values.

diff xorg.conf.orig xorg.conf.09012602
<    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
<    ModelName    "Monitor Model"

>    VendorName   "HSD"
>    ModelName    "Hanns.G HG281"
>    HorizSync    24.0 - 80.0
>    HorizRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
>    Modeline     "1920x1200" 204.95 1920 2064 2272 \
                  2744 1200 1200 1203 1244 -HSync -VSync
>    Option       "DPMS"

The sync/refresh were taken from mfrs data as were
allowable values to feed into modeline calculator.
I had to find correct -HSync -VSync parameters by
trial and error.

David