Re: NetBSD as virtual machine in KVM

Hi,

I've started to install NetBSD without problems inside a virtual machine
with KVM on Linux (Ubuntu 7.04).

After that I configured NetBSD to use dhcp for the one and only NIC
"ne1". And there comes my first problem:

Mar  8 23:32:26 crusty /netbsd: ne1: device timeout

Ok, many hints here. First, what NetBSD version are you running ? NetBSD 5.0RC2 still fails for me and many others under KVM and VirtualBox, stick to 4.0.1 for the time being.

The first thing you want to check is that you start your NetBSD vm without ACPI support (-no-acpi) and without SMP support.

For the NIC, the default KVM card, rtl8139, works after a little bit of tweaking: default NetBSD rtl8139 driver, re(4), is unusable (re0: watchdog timeout) under KVM, http://mail-index4.netbsd.org/port-xen/2006/10/25/0001.html explains that the old rtk(4) driver just works, that's the one I'm using. You'll have to disable the re(4) driver (simply comment the re* line) and recompile the NetBSD 4 kernel, rtk(4) will then handle your NIC.

Here is my NetBSD 4.0.1 vm startup script :

kvm /data/virt/netbsd4.img \
        -net nic,macaddr=00:56:01:02:03:04,model=rtl8139 \
        -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=/home/imil/etc/qemu-ifup \
        -hdb /data/virt/home.qcow2 \
        -m 512 \
        -no-acpi \
        -localtime \