synaptics_probe: Failed to query capabilities. and no default mouse protocol

I am running NetBSD 5.0_RC2 on amd64.

My mouse is

 pckbc1 at acpi0 (KBC, PNP0303): kbd port
 pckbc1: io 0x60,0x64 irq 1
 pckbd0 at pckbc1 (kbd slot)
 pckbc1: using irq 1 for kbd slot
 pms0 at pckbc1 (aux slot)
 pms0: Synaptics touchpad version 6.3
 pms0: synaptics_probe: Failed to query capabilities.
 pckbc1: using irq 12 for aux slot
 wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0

It is on a Toshiba Satellite L350-S1701. The marketing specs say "TouchPad
pointing device".

What tool can I use to find more details about it? I don't see it in any
of my pcictl list's.

startx with no configuration for new install of NetBSD-5.0-RC2:

 (EE) <default pointer>: No Protocol specified
 (EE) PreInit failed for input device "<default pointer>"
 (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"

So that is from ./xf86-input-mouse/src/mouse.c

moused detection shows:

 moused: PnP COM device rev 1.0 probe...
 moused: modem status 037564245342
 moused: alternate probe...
 moused: cannot determine mouse type on /dev/ttyE1
 /dev/ttyE1 serial unknown generic

Any ideas?

(New laptop ordered for me without my input: no mouse, X autodetection is
wrong, no wifi, bad luck.)