Re: amd64 or i386?

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 08:21:49AM +1100, Carl Brewer wrote:
> I'm going to have to go to 5.0RC2 I guess or fiddle with unreleased
> kernels.

I'm using NetBSD 5.0_BETA/RC1/RC2 on my server for month now. Besides
some problems with WAPBL which should be fixed now it worked reasonably
well. I would however not use 5.0_RC2 itself but a daily snapshot instead
because 5.0_RC2 is e.g. missing the WAPBL fix.

> As I'll be pulling a number of apps over, including a cyrus mailserver,
> plone & zope, sendmail with some milters (clamav & spamassassin) and a
> few other bits & pieces including apache 2.2 and squirrelmail, should I
> go to an amd64 architecture or stick with i386?

How much memory are your going to buy? If it is 3GB or less i386 is
probably the better option. If you want to install more memory you
will need amd64.

I'm using NetBSD/amd64 because my machine has 5GB of main memory.

        Kind regards