Re: junk characters from movement keys in vi in xterm via ssh

Jeremy C. Reed <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> wrote:

> I have had this problem for years. Using different xterms, ssh, and NetBSD
> versions.
>
> When I move in vi in an xterm over ssh connections over wireless or other
> networks, I frequently get junk inserted into my document.
>
> I am not insert mode. For example, I may be holding my down arrow down
> (which is ^[OB) and it will go into insert mode and enter a "B" into my
> document on a new line -- like it lost the Escape, used "O" for adding a
> new line above cursor and enter insert mode, and entered the "B".
>
> Or sometimes it will enter other characters. It is frustrating as it
> frequently modifies a document and I may not notice until later.

Nothing netbsd-specific here.  If the delay between ESC and O exceeds
certain threshold (see keypad(3), search for ESCDELAY) ESC gets
interpreted as plain ESC (it's not "lost" as you hypothesize).  That
gets you into command mode, then O adds a new line and switches to
insert mode and the next char is then inserted.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost                       |       Zu Grunde kommen
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen