junk characters from movement keys in vi in xterm via ssh

I have had this problem for years. Using different xterms, ssh, and NetBSD
versions.

When I move in vi in an xterm over ssh connections over wireless or other
networks, I frequently get junk inserted into my document.

I am not insert mode. For example, I may be holding my down arrow down
(which is ^[OB) and it will go into insert mode and enter a "B" into my
document on a new line -- like it lost the Escape, used "O" for adding a
new line above cursor and enter insert mode, and entered the "B".

Or sometimes it will enter other characters. It is frustrating as it
frequently modifies a document and I may not notice until later.

I can't reproduce it. But it happens frequently, usually several times a
day.

Any ideas or suggestions?

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \