Re: Why is Desktop NetBSD a threat to NetBSD?

One more vote for lynx! :) (Or maybe links...)

Well, I am not a developer, so I cannot get into
your technical details way too much... but as for
"using command line stuff on a desktop", can't
you, generally speaking, use a simple desktop
with icons, which, if you click them, just "do the
commandline stuff"? I mean, for example USB: I
have two clickable items, one does something like:

mkdir $HOME/usb1
sudo mount_msdos /dev/sd0e $HOME/usb1
sudo chown $USER $HOME/usb1
xterm -e mc $HOME/usb1

(note - you need mc and sudo installed for that)

the other one does:

sudo umount -f $HOME/usb1
rm -f $HOME/usb1
xterm -e "df -h | less"

I do this kind of thing on Windowmaker, which is
small but not-so-minimalistic. I would say XFCE
level of experience. I mean, if a majority of
things can be solved this way (I have quite a
few - other USB, CDROM, Camera, top, diskspace...),
then maybe you do not need to do any deep
changes to NetBSD, right?

Kind regards,

Nino

-------- Original-Nachricht --------