Re: RAM disk

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:07:07PM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:

>      As mentioned before, mfs and tmpfs are intended for general
> purpose RAM disks.  mdconfig is for use with pre-existing disk images.

Please stop posting misinformation to the NetBSD mailing lists.

If you insist upon continuing to post misinformation, please at least
attempt to do so in a less authoritative style.

As the manual page very clearly says,

| The mdconfig command configures memory disk devices.  It will associate
| the special file special_file with a range of user-virtual memory allo-
| cated by the mdconfig process itself.

As if that weren't clear enough, the entire contents of the EXAMPLES
section of the manual page is:

| EXAMPLES
|           mdconfig /dev/md0c 2048 &
|
|     Configures the memory disk md0c with one megabyte of user-space memory.

Are we to suppose that what this does is that it magically knows to
allocate 1MB of RAM, and that it fills it with the contents of the file
named "2048"?  You've got to be kidding me.

Thor