Re: /usr/bin/tip + serial console?

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:51:03 +0000 (UTC)
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost (Valeriy E. Ushakov) wrote:

> raymond.meyer%rambler.ru@localhost wrote:
>
> > I want to connect from i386 to sparc64 via serial cable. I have a
> > working serial cable, but I'm not sure what to put in /etc/remote,
> > I've tried the following with tty00 and tty01:
> >
> > hardwire:dv=/dev/tty01:br#9600:pa=none:dc:
> >
> > but when I run 'tip hardwire' and then send break command, nothing
> > happens.  Any ideas?
>
> Use /dev/dty* ('d' for "dialout"), not /dev/tty*.  See tty(4).
>
> You can do a quick test with
>
>     cu -l /dev/dty01 -s 9600
>
> which doesn't require adding anything to /etc/remote

Still no luck, I've tried

cu -l /dev/dty00 -s 9600 and cu -l /dev/dty01 -s 9600

When it says connected, I type ~# but nothing happens.

The i386 machine has two DB9 ports, labled 1 and 2

The sparc64 machine is Ultra 10 with DB25 port labled A, and DB9 port labled B

The serial cable I used has on one end DB9 connector and on the other end DB25
connector + null modem adapter.

I plug DB9 connector into DB9 port labled 1 on i386, and DB25 connector (with
null modem adapter) into DB25 port on sparc64. I'm trying to connect from i386
to sparc64 via serial console.

I remember this used to work before. Is there anything else that I need to set
up for serial console between two machines?