Re: GNU grep in /usr/bin? WTF?!

On 12-Oct-08, at 10:55 AM, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:

Am 12.10.2008 um 16:18 schrieb Manuel Bouyer:

Maybe you installed it yourself ? From the cvs history, it has never
been the default grep shipped with NetBSD (it was imported in 2004).

No, I didn't install it myself. I could only imagine that build.sh install=/ installed both and one overwrote the other.

No need to imagine here! build.sh is _highly_ repeatable, and if used normally to do an unprivileged build and install to $DESTDIR it even keeps a good log of all installed files in the $DESTDIR/METALOG file and of course you can also collect all the output of build.sh with something like nohup and then examine it to see exactly what has happened during its run (perhaps with also making sure it is called with "-N 2", though that's supposed to be the default).

You could also examine the Makefile in /usr/src/usr.bin and see if it includes "grep" -- and since it doesn't by default you can be sure that the source in usr.bin/grep is not built nor installed by build.sh.

(I agree though -- it's long past time most GNU tools should have been thrown out of NetBSD, and to heck with backwards support of the stupid GNU long options, and even all of their other non-standardized options too!)

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>