wiconfig: ioctl: Operation now in progress

On NetBSD 4.0 with:

$ sudo wiconfig iwi0 -D
scanning .............wiconfig: ioctl: Operation now in progress

but after wpa_supplicant -i iwi0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf which has my
WPA-PSK key info then it works (it scans and shows access points).

Why this "ioctl: Operation now in progress" message? Why can't it scan?

Is this normal behaviour? If so, maybe a better error message?

While I have used wifi under NetBSD a lot on multiple laptops for past
couple years, this is the first day I have used it successfully with WPA.

  Jeremy C. Reed