Re: sync(1) not really syncing??

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 02:52:02PM +0200, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> (...)
> Please read again what I wrote. I said it's NOT like that atm, but the
> OP proposed to stall the whole system when you type sync. And that
> *WOULD* _DEFINITELY_ allow for a DoS, if that change would be made.

Uh okay, probably I don't have the necessary vocabulary. What I meant
is "disallow use of new buffers until sync has not claimed that all
buffers are successfully flushed to the disk(s)" because if you'd
rebuffer e.g. parts of a file on a filesystem which you definitely
want to be synced (as, I've learnt in the meantime, umount does),
then the idea of sync would be moot (to me anyways). So you may not
buffer anything while sync(2) is operating. That is pretty much
stalling the system, isn't it?

-Martin