Re: sync(1) not really syncing??

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 01:19:54PM +0200, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> sync(1) may return before all data is synced. That's nothing new and
> has been like that in UNIX for ages. That's why it got a common
> practice to use umount and then sync; sync; sync.

Ah okay, now I see it in the manpage too. But it's in the BUGS
section. Can't we have a sync that stalls the system until its
buffers *really* are clean? I mean what kind of guarantuee does
the user have so that's safe to remove whatever media? triple-sync?
how is that better than one-sync? You have no guarantuee whatsoever...

-Martin