Re: SATA cards with lots of ports?

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 10:50:31PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 01:51:27PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > The AMI MegaRAID SATA cards support SAS port multipliers, so you can
> > get up to 32 drives on them by using four 8-port multipliers.  The
> > cabling is far tidier this way too.
> >
> > If we had support for port multipliers in our ATA code we could do this
> > with the motherboard SATA ports, too, which would be really nice.
>
> I'd actually work on port multipliers support (at last for ahci) if
> I knew where to get one. Do you have a name, part number or something ?

I'm only aware of SATA port multiplier chips from Silicon Image.

Addonics makes boards based on some of these chips.

I have no idea about availability in Europe though.

http://www.siliconimage.com/products/productfamily.aspx?id=3
http://www.addonics.com/products/pm/

And now to take this thread on a loosely-related tangent:

I'm guessing that SATA NCQ support could be developed
on hardware many of us already have, and would find a
wider audience waiting for it.

(This should be a larger motivation for me, but alas,
it's just not getting me started on the journey of
learning and fun.)

        Jonathan Kollasch