Trouble with ral(4)

I'm having a little trouble with a Conceptronic C54RC. It attaches
and I'm able to associate with an access point, but only the first
time after boot. When trying to reassociate at a later point,
wpa_cli spits out "<2> Trying to associate with [...]" messages in
an interval smaller than the usual 10 seconds or so until timeout,
and timeout messages are never printed. Any clou why this might
be? It's on NetBSD 4.0.0_PATCH with GENERIC_LAPTOP (seems necessary
in order for the card to attach at all).

Thanks for any help on this,

-- Dennis den Brok