Re: startx > xauth - bad display name error

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:35:13 -0500 (CDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> wrote:

> >        # startx
> > I get this message...
> >        xauth: (argv):1: bad display name
> > "myComputer.myDomain.dom:0" in "list" command
>
> Usually that error is because the name is not in DNS. It doesn't know
> "myComputer.myDomain.dom". Use a real name in real working DNS, or
> add to local /etc/hosts.
>
> Is that bogus name assigned by DHCP?

The problem is startx, I think.  Looking at the script, it's using the
output of 'hostname' as something to feed to xauth.  Per a previous
post by Bryan -- and it's on my list to reply to -- he doesn't have a
local host name.  Try setting it to 'localhost', which will at least
keep xauth happy.

> > And the same with
> >       stty erase '^h'
>
> > actually it seems like I have to type this everytime I su to root.
> > Is there a way to make this more permanant... (I've seen some
> > terminal settings in the rc.conf...but nothing that popped out at
> > me as possibly fixing this)
>
> Put in startup dot file, like .profile and/or .login.

What about xterms?  For me, when I'm in X the backspace key just works,
but it also just works on the console, so I haven't worried about it.
(Well, not always, but close enough.)