Re: NetBSD and iPod touch?

On Jun 12, 2008, at 1:42 PM, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
So, I've been "lucky" and just won an iPod Touch. I don't have it yet, but it should arrive with the mail somewhat soon. In the meantime I've read that you need iTunes software to be able to use it, but I don't run Mac OSX
nor Windows at home.  Is there a way to use an iPod Touch with NetBSD?

There's http://www.gtkpod.org, which runs on FreeBSD and Linux, so it should be portable to NetBSD as well. I'm not sure whether it supports the Touch yet, though. There's also http://www.gnu.org/software/gnupod/ that mentions limited support for the Touch.

As I prefer an mp3-player that I can simply "mount" and copy mp3 files to, I considered Rockbox[1] (which I've happily been running on my iriver H10),
but it doesn't seem to support the iPod touch yet...

That's sort of doable, also. Google for "copy music to ipod" and you'll get links like this which talk about how to mount a iPod and where the music files are kept:

http://www.engadget.com/2004/11/02/how-to-get-music-off-your-ipod/

Regards,
--
-Chuck