dummy's guide to emulation?

Hello,
I want to try and replace a SCO box (OS 5.0.5 I think, it's old and hairy) with something modern for a client, I've given up on xen, VMware etc to run SCO in, it's just too hard to get SCO working in a VM.

Anyway, NetBSD seems like it can emulate SCO, but is there any doco on how to set up an environment such that an application that looks for things in certain places finds them? Is something like a big chroot environment suitable? Is there some magic that the emulation layer does to help? Things like printers etc? Or simple things like where to find database files and the like?

Any pointers to a beginner's guide to using emulation in NetBSD much appreciated!

Thankyou

Carl