Re: best way of logging on flash based systems

On Apr 9, 2008, at 3:18 AM, David Wetzel wrote:

I am running a WARP board with a CompactFlash als root device.
Currently, I am already mounting a tmpfs for /tmp and a memfs for /dev

For the files in /var I was thinking of a union mount. Or is it better to change the syslog config to write to /tmp?
I see no reason for copying all /var to ram.

I know this isn't what you were looking for ... But I've occasionally wished for some sort of ring-buffer special device for logging, a'la the 'emlog' module that someone did for Linux years ago... A kernel module that allocates a ring buffer, the size of which is some power of the minor device node. You log to said file and can read the last portion of the file that equates to whatever size you set...

Doesn't seem like it should be difficult to write..