Re: Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 4000

Even the newer Microsoft models (Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 6000) have the same issue. Some searching turned up patches against FreeBSD to address some quirks with this USB device. I started to dig into the USB and UHID code a while back before free time got scarce. It seemed to be issues with packet sync or proper status detection that stalled all data. I do have some USB and UHID debugging output available, though with the right kernel config, you can recapture it in about 5 minutes with DDB.

Someone who has looked at the USB stack for longer than I have will make faster progress. I am willing to test patches against -current, but in the absence of other contributions I'll continue poking at this until I have a functional mouse (don't wait for me though, time isn't exactly growing on trees in my neighborhood).

/sjd

PS. For me, an alternative is to get the Bluetooth HID support working for the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000. That was sort of working (except for the buttons) about a year ago. Now it doesn't at all. I'm coming to the conclusion that the Microsoft wireless mouse products have some issues with playing nice in an open-source world...

Gary Thorpe wrote:
--- David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:

        Anyone using one of these under NetBSD? It appears to be detected
        fine, but is non responsive (works fine under Windows)

uhidev0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
uhidev0: Microsoft Microsoft Wireless Optical MouseM-BM-. 1.00, rev 2.00/0.07, addr 2, iclass 3/1
uhidev0: 23 report ids
ums0 at uhidev0 reportid 17: 5 buttons and Z dir.
wsmouse1 at ums0 mux 0
uhid0 at uhidev0 reportid 18: input=0, output=0, feature=1
uhid1 at uhidev0 reportid 19: input=1, output=0, feature=0
uhid2 at uhidev0 reportid 20: input=1, output=0, feature=0
uhid3 at uhidev0 reportid 21: input=3, output=0, feature=0
uhid4 at uhidev0 reportid 23: input=0, output=0, feature=1

--
                           David Brownlee -- abs%absd.org@localhost

I have a similar problem with the 1000 model (almost identical dmesg).
A wired USB mouse works but doesn't identify as a UHID device. This