Re: Rebuilding perl 5.8.8 with threads? What to expect?

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:14:28PM +0100, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> "-threads". I'm considering just going to /usr/pkgsrc/*/perl5 and make
> clean;make update with /etc/mk.conf containing the "PKG.OPTIONS.perl =
> threads" line instead of "PKG.OPTIONS.perl = -threads"...
>
> Will that be enough? Will that break anything? What else do I need to
> take into account?

  Awhile ago, I had an experience departing from pkgsrc-perl's
default threading disposition in which there was significant, un-
expected rebuild-cascade-effect.  I was using mod_perl (and apache
1.x), so I had to try to re-build it with threading that matched
perl's; and, accordinly, to try to rebuild apache itself--and all
its other modules--that way, too.

  Some package in the chain wouldn't work (maybe there were build
errors I couldn't fix or maybe it just plain didn't offer any
threading options, and wouldn't fit with the rest of the chain).
Anyway, I had to go back and rebuild everything all over again,
starting with perl itself, using the default threading disposition.

  If you use mod_perl now, everything might be ok (especially maybe
w/apache2?).  Suffice it to say though, soon after the above was
when I started "caching" my pkgsrc builds into binary packages (via

    make update UPDATE_TARGET=bin-install BINPKG_SITES=

) so I could back out of rebuild snafus more easily...

Cheers,  --Dave