About GCC optimizations

Hello,

I'm trying to get the best performance from my VI C3 machine.
Thus I begin looking for GCC optimizations. According to the Gentoo
Linux WiKi, a good set of flags would be "-march=c3-2 -Os
-fomit-frame-pointer". I've compiled a few things to check for binary
size and crash tests and it looks OK. But I still have a few questions:

1. As far as I understood, "-Os" builds small code that fetch well in
the C3 small cache. Does this mean that the binary will only load faster
or does it mean that it will also run better because each function call
will fit better in the small cache ?

2. My C3 is a multimedia station (running freevo and MPlayer). Should I
had flags like "-mmmx" or "-mmsse" or are they included in the
"-march=c3-2" ?

3. In a more general way, how do I know which "-m" or "-f" option are
included in the "-march=FOO" parameter ?

TIA,
        Jo