NetBSD-Java archive

Re: freebsd java

On 8/29/08, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 04:32:11PM -0400, Scott Bartram wrote:
>  > You can read more about it here:
> http://openjdk.java.net/projects/bsd-port/
>

> Thats great to hear!
>
>  Sorry I haven't been able to digest all the legal stuff yet - does this mean
>  we now can create a binary OpenJDK pkg and redistribute it?
>
>  We have a source-only pkg for quite some time, but bootstrapping is a
>  bit involved, and it was our understanding that we could not publish binaries
>  previously, making this a bit useless.

The two most relevant Q/A from the faq for that question:
(which is why I was impressed that freebsd was using the logo and
calling their package "Java")

Q: But I've created an implementation based almost entirely on
OpenJDK, and packaged it for my GNU/Linux distribution. Surely you
want me to call this implementation "OpenJDK", otherwise how will
people know that they are getting a build of the project's code?
A:
Indeed, this is where the requirements of trademark law run head-on
into the needs of the community, and developers. Sun is trying out a
new approach to trademarks associated with F/OSS projects with
OpenJDK. If you have created an implementation based on OpenJDK code,
which is a substantially complete implementation in which the vast
majority of the code in your implementation is identical to the
OpenJDK code base, then Sun will give you permission to use the
"OpenJDK" trademark for package names and version strings. This means
that when you package an implementation based on OpenJDK, you can use
"OpenJDK" or "openjdk" as part of the package name. It can appear in
your package manager's list of available packages as well, and other
packages can name it as a dependency. You can also mention your
package on a website as part of a list of packages included in your
distribution.

Sun is not granting you the right to use the "OpenJDK" trademark in
any other way. So you cannot, based on this limited permission, make
statements on your web site or in other marketing materials such as:

"Blattodistro Linux features OpenJDK, Sun's open source Java SE
implementation."

You could only use the trademarked term "OpenJDK" under "fair use"
guidelines, as described in this section of the FAQ, and also as part
of Sun's trademark policy.

This limited trademark permission is found within the code itself, and
you can also read the details at
http://openjdk.java.net/legal/openjdk-trademark-notice.html.

-----

Q: Can I call products I create from code I download from your
open-source site "Java"?
A:
If your product meets one of several program requirements for using
the Java brand, including the applicable testing, (see
http://www.java.com/en/about/brand/) then you can use the appropriate
Java cup and steam logo, according to the guidelines of the brand.

For example:
"My product, Foo Sneakers is Java Compatible."
"This derivative of the OpenJDK project source code is Java Compatible."
"created my application using a Java Compatible implementation and it
is Java Powered"
For Java SE, the Java Powered logo requires that you be a member of
the Sun Partner Advantage Program and ship a Java-based application
for Java SE 1.4 or later. The Java Compatible logo program for Java SE
requires that your implementation passes the relevant TCKs for Java
SE, and that you apply for the logo. If however, you choose not to
pursue and meet the requirements of a Java brand program, then you are
not granted rights to use the Java name or its logo. Instead, your use
of the word Java is limited only to what is legally referred to as
"fair use." (See question below). Please note that under US law, and
other jurisdictions, there is no "fair use" of a logo, and you must
have a license.

For example, you can say:
My product uses code I downloaded from the openjdk.java.net website.
My product, JammaLamma, is based on code from the OpenJDK project.
My product, JCool for Java Technology, can be used with Java SE 6.