NetBSD-Desktop archive

Re: Tasks

On 13 Feb 2009 at 23:30, Andrew Doran wrote:

> - Another part is getting X to autoconfigure. From my perspective
> this means
>   doing a bit of research, I don't know well enough what happens
>   with it. Is X -configure smart enough these days? Can we figure
>   out how to set the keyboard layout given what we ask in sysinst?
>   Is it worth looking at what Ubuntu/Fedora do? Anyone want to add
>   the code to sysinst? Should be simple enough.

I've done a couple of reinstalls of Xorg then Gnome on two different
pcs, both NetBSD 5.0_BETA and pkgsrc-2008q4. One used default xorg
config and gave full monitor resolution, second gave some minimal
resolution from default xorg.conf and needed use of modeline utility
the results of which were plugged into xorg.conf and nearly gives
correct 1920x1200 display, lower edge of screen being off by a few
pixels which I've not yet tried to fix.

My 2008q3 install of gnome was core dumping from screensaver
otherwise seemed a little more stable than Ubuntu-8.04. 2008q4
fixed screensaver problem but now shutdown doesn't work. I'd
still rather have a lighter weight desktop but attempts to get
all wanted applications working together on fvwm, icewm, xfce
etc have all hit some problem I've been unable to resolve
which is only reason I'm giving gnome a try.

David