NetBSD-Advocacy archive

Re: The God, the Devil and the NetBSD.

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, E.J. Novikovas wrote:
Mascot of Linux is penguin, mascot of BSD is Devil (or Beastie).

The mascot of isn't (the/a) devil, but a daemon: In greek mythology,
daemons were beings between gods and humans, e.g. think of hermes the
gods' messenger. This has nothing to do with what the (christian?) church
connects to "the devil", even if there's some visual equivalence. A detail
of difference to note are that the BSD daemon does not have a horned foot
as one would expect from "the devil".

  - Hubert
Daemon or Demon or Devil - there is no difference. Don't lie for yourself.
We live not in ancient Greece. What does it mean in modern english language
you can check in English thesaurus, for example here:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus.htm .

Check out thesaurus.com. One of the two meanings of daemon is "God - a supernatural being worshipped by people". You really ought to stop tripping up over a spelling misconception - I guess you hate Matt Damon too for the same reasons.

--
Stephen