Re: urndis and tethering on a Google Pixel 6 phone (or not)

On October 3, 2023 2:49:54 AM GMT+09:00, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
>Has anyone been able to tether using urndis on a Google Pixel 6?
>
>It's not picked up automatically, and just as a test I added it(*) to
>urndis_devs in sys/dev/usb/if_urndis.c, but it doesn't complete
>autoconfig - I suspect it might need to be poked in some special way
>to actually be an urndis, or else is now a new-new-linux-urndis2 thing
>
>ugen2: Google (0x18d1) Pixel 6 (0x4ee1), rev 2.10/5.10, addr 5
>acpibat0: normal capacity on 'charge state'
>ugen2: detached
>ugen2: at uhub4 port 1 (addr 5) disconnected
>urndis0 at uhub4 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
>urndis0: Google (0x18d1) Pixel 6 (0x4eeb), rev 2.10/5.10, addr 5
>urndis0: STALLED
>urndis0: init failed
>autoconfiguration error: urndis0: unable to initialize hardware
>
>(*) The phone attaches as multiple devices based on whether it's
>trying to offer USB tether, combined with whether USB debug is
>enabled.
>
>David

Hi,

I have Google Pixel 7a and it does not offer
urndis(4) device anymore. It provides USB NCM
device for USB tethering.
It seems that FreeBSD's cdce(4) device driver
has NCM support. However I have not tested it yet.

I suspect that Pixel 6a also offers NCM device.

Thank you.
--
Ryo ONODERA // ryo%tetera.org@localhost
PGP fingerprint = 82A2 DC91 76E0 A10A 8ABB  FD1B F404 27FA C7D1 15F3