Re: ssh, HPN extension and TCP auto-tuning

buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost (Brian Buhrow) writes:

>		hello.  Refresh my memory.  Is it the case that the HPN code only runs if both ends
>of the ssh connection support HPN and have it turned on?

With only the client using HPN, you can tune the client receive buffer,
which may or may not help.

With client and server using HPN, buffers will automatically grow with
the TCP window size.

The HPN mode in the NetBSD ssh was buggy since probably netbsd-5 and
could make the connection slower. People would mostly notice that
copying from or to another NetBSD box was slower than from or to e.g.
a Linux box.

>Are there other OS's that support HPN natively?

I don't think so, FreeBSD dropped it I think in -10 but has it in ports.
There is also

https://freebsd.pkgs.org/13/freebsd-amd64/openssh-portable-hpn-9.0.p1,1.pkg.html