Re: Weird clock behaviour with current (amd64) kernel

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 01:09:55AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>   | N.B. It would be nice if there were a (MI) boot option that could be used
>   | to influence HZ without recompiling. Booting into ddb and patching hz
>   | and a few derived variables isn't that comfortable.
>
> It would be nice...
>
> I doubt patching is feasible, there are quite a few places in the code
> which use HZ rather than hz (quite a lot in the DRM code), there also
> appear to be some ports that make assumptions about what HZ is going to
> be - which can be checked at compile time, but which patching would destroy.

Our code should be safe, the old DRM code did use:

./drm/dist/bsd-core/drmP.h:#define DRM_HZ                       hz

and DRM2 uses:

./drm2/include/asm/param.h:#define      HZ      hz

but obviously, this needs to be verified and there can be
weak assumptions about possible HZ values.

But I doubt these issues are difficult to find and to fix.

Providing a common boot parameter over all ports and port masters
on the other hand starts with the question what color it should be
painted.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst