Re: Trendnet TEW-648UBM detected as ugen not urtwn

> On May 13, 2022, at 11:49 PM, matthew green <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost> wrote:
>
> Brook Milligan writes:
>> I am trying to use a Trendnet TEW-648UBM usb wifi dongle, which is
>> supposed to be recognized by the urtwn driver.  However, it is
>> recognized as a ugen device, instead.
>>
>> [   2.9586490] ugen0 at uhub1 port 1
>> [   2.9586490] ugen0: Realtek (0x20f4) 802.11n WLAN Adapter (0x648c),
>> rev 2.00/2.00, addr 3
>>
>> I am not sure how to extract relevant information from the device.  For
>> example, what usb tools should be used to figure out why this is not
>> recognized by urtwn?
>
> i guess see urtwn_devs[] in if_urtwn.c.  it has no entry
> for this ID (0x648c) (or does usbdevs at all.)
>
> ie, add to usbdevs, make -f Makefile.usbdevs; add the new
> id string to if_urtwn.c.  test.  commit the usbdevs file,
> regen usbdevs*.h again (with the updated rcsids), and then
> commit the changes to usbdevs*.h and if_urtwn.c.

Thanks, Matthew.  This more or less worked.  That is, the kernel attached the urtwn driver to the device.

> hopefully it's actually still a urtwn(4).  :-)

I’m less clear about this.  Perhaps someone with wifi foo can help?

I am using wpa_supplicant to configure the wifi, which works for a different instance of the urtwn interface.  The first few setup steps that wpa_supplicant seems to go through apparently work, which is to say that they are identical (except for obvious differences like urtwn0 v. urtwn1, etc.) between the two interfaces.  The first substantive difference is in the scanning step.  Here is a bit of the wpa_supplicant log for the working interface when it scans the network:

urtwn0: Starting radio work 'scan'@0x709fc000 after 0.000045 second wait
wpa_driver_bsd_set_wpa: enabled=1
wpa_driver_bsd_set_wpa_internal: wpa=3 privacy=1
EAPOL: disable timer tick
urtwn0: Event SCAN_RESULTS (3) received

Here is the corresponding bit of the wpa_supplicant log for the non-working interface at the same point:

urtwn1: Starting radio work 'scan'@0x6d166000 after 0.000048 second wait
wpa_driver_bsd_set_wpa: enabled=1
wpa_driver_bsd_set_wpa_internal: wpa=3 privacy=1
ioctl[SIOCS80211, op=23, val=0, arg_len=0]: Invalid argument
urtwn1: State: SCANNING -> DISCONNECTED
urtwn1: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-1 retry=1
urtwn1: Radio work 'scan'@0x6d166000 done in 0.001021 seconds
urtwn1: radio_work_free('scan'@0x6d166000): num_active_works --> 0
urtwn1: Setting scan request: 1.000000 sec
EAPOL: disable timer tick
urtwn1: State: DISCONNECTED -> SCANNING

I would greatly appreciate any help getting this to work.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Brook