Re: building netbsd-9 2 'sync' processes stuck in 'tstile'

On Sat, 8 May 2021, Robert Elz wrote:

>     From:        "John D. Baker" <jdbaker%consolidated.net@localhost>
>
>   | I expected as much.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  I've
>   | had systems with stuck processes get stuck in the shutdown sequence
>   | requiring a hard reset (or forced power-cycle) to recover.
>
> It might go either way.  But when you do shutdown/reboot give it time
> (measured in multiple minutes perhaps, no need to wait hours) for it to
> possible abandon attempts to sync fully (ie: don't expect it to shutdown
> as quickly as normal, but only wait a rational amount of time, not forever).

As expected, the shutdown procedure got stuck:

  Stopping cron
  Stopping inetd
  [hung]

I waited about fifteen minutes then hit the hard reset switch.  Afterward,
the RAID configured and the parity re-write was almost instantaneous.
'fsck -yf' revealed no faults.

At this point I rebooted again and booted a -current kernel which
has the proposed fix for kern/55115.  The issue appears to be fixed
and I've asked that it be pulled up to netbsd-9.

|\ / jdbaker[snail]consolidated[flyspeck]net  OpenBSD            FreeBSD