Re: building netbsd-9 2 'sync' processes stuck in 'tstile'

On Fri, 7 May 2021, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> However they eventually completed, and even more mysteriously the whole
> problem resolved itself and disappeared without any knowing intervention!
>
> I just left the machine to struggle along overnight and in the morning
> it was running fine, and continued to do so for over a week until I
> rebooted the other day to test some unrelated kernel fixes.

So far, the now 6 'sync' processes have been stuck in "tstile" for 4
days.  Other than being unable to build/link any kernels, the system is
fine and its primary functions as file server (NFS, SaMBa, AppleTalk),
backup DNS and NTP server are unaffected as are its clients (i.e., every
other machine on my LAN).  CVS updates to the various trees complete
without problems.

Of course anything that runs 'sync' will get stuck.

This is the first time I've had this kind of problem on this system
since I placed it in service in 2010.

Once other clients are either finished with their tasks or at least reach
a convenient stopping point, the machine will be rebooted so I can test
a possible solution to kern/55115.

|\ / jdbaker[snail]consolidated[flyspeck]net  OpenBSD            FreeBSD